Wesley C. Meierhenry Distinguished Professor
Professor Emeritus, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Born: Wellington, New Zealand, 1941
Died: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States, 2022
Sean Newman at:
US: +1 (323) 686-6000
Obituary & Memorial Service
Ian Newman Memorial Service from First-Plymouth Church on Vimeo.
A memorial service was held at 4:00 p.m. United States Central Standard Time, on Saturday, February 12, 2022, at First Plymouth Church, 2000 D Street, Lincoln Nebraska, United States. A recording of Ian’s memorial service is available online at https://vimeo.com/675637709.
Ian M. Newman, 81, of Lincoln died Friday, February 4, 2022. Born January 12, 1941, in Wellington, New Zealand to Stan and Grace (Wilton) Newman. Ian grew up in Palmerston North, attended Palmerston North Boys High School where he was the head prefect and captain of the rugby team. He left home at age 18 accepting a scholarship to George Williams College in Chicago, now Aurora University. While in Chicago, Ian met Enid Hosein, originally of Trinidad and Tobago, at a church dance. They married in 1964.
Ian earned bachelor and master degrees from George Williams College before moving on to the University of Illinois where he earned his PhD. His post-doctoral studies took place at Harvard School of Public Health. He later joined the faculty at the University of Tennessee working at the Oakridge National Laboratory. Two years later, he joined the faculty at the University of Nebraska, where he taught and conducted research for over 50 years.
His primary areas of focus included adolescent health, health education and public health. He was loved by his graduate students for his caring, mentoring and interest in their backgrounds; many remain friends today. While at Nebraska, he took a 2-year leave to join the World Health Organization and was stationed in New Delhi, India. He served in Thailand, Nepal and Sri Lanka. In 1997, Ian was named the Wesley C. Meierhenry Distinguished Professor by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Ian possessed an unquenchable desire for intellectual and cultural adventure. His personal and professional life took him to more than 83 countries and territories around the world where he always made a point to learn local customs and understand people’s traditions, including a hearty appetite for local cuisine and delicacies.
Ian and Enid were well known for their ballroom and folk dancing. They were members of the UNL Faculty Dance Club and International Folk Dancers.
Family members include his wife of over 55 years, Enid; sons and daughter-in-law, Sean Newman, Brian (Johanna) Newman, Stuart Newman; Grandchildren, Sophia, Ethan and Hannah; Great Grandchildren, Brennan and Everet; and Nieces and Nephews. Ian is preceded in death by his parents and sister Cathrine.
Memorial Service 4:00 PM Saturday (2-12-2022) at First-Plymouth Church, 2000 D Street. Livestream found at roperandsons.com/livestream. Memorials in lieu of flowers may be directed to the Lincoln Food Bank. Condolences online at roperandsons.com
- Palmerston North Boys’ High School
- B. S. George Williams College of Aurora University Illinois. 1963.
- M.S. “With Honor”) George Williams College of Aurora University, Illinois, 1964.
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, 1968.
- (Post Doc.) Harvard University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, 1970.
- 1966-68 Visiting Lecturer in Anthropology and Health Education, George Williams College, Downers Grove, Illinois.
- 1968-70 Assistant Professor, Public Health Education, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee.
- 1969-70 Consultant, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Oak Ridge National Lab, Civil Defense Research Project—Urban Decentralization Task Force.
- 1970-72 Associate Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- 1972-74 Health Education Specialist and Acting Regional Advisor (health education), World Health Organization, Southeast Asia Regional Office, New Delhi, India.
- 1974-78 Associate Professor, Department of Medical and Educational Administration, University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- 1978-79 World Health Organization consultant to the Government of the Philippines.
- 1978-85 Director, Nebraska Alcohol and Drug Information Clearinghouse.
- 1978-2017 Professor, Health Education, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- 1980 Visiting Education Fellow, Department of Education, New Zealand.
- 1982-86 Director, School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- 1992-1998 Visiting Lecturer in Master of Medicine Program, School of Post-Graduate Medical Studies, National University of Singapore.
- 2003-2004 Visiting Professor, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Mahidol at Salaya, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1979- 2019 Director, Nebraska Prevention Center for Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- 2002-2017 Professor, Department of Educational Psychology, College of Education and Human Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2006-2017 Director, Nebraska Collegiate Consortium to Reduce High Risk Drinking.
- 2012-2015 American Deputy Director, American Exchange Center, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China.
- 2017 Professor Emeritus University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Honors and Awards
- American Academy of Health Behavior (Fellow)
- American School Health Association (Fellow)
- Society for Applied Anthropology (Fellow)
- 2001 Special citation from the Minister of Health of the Semi-Autonomous Region of Inner Mongolia (People’s Republic of China) for contributions to the advancement of public health.
- 1986 Distinguished Service Award, American School Health Association.
- 1987 Third Annual Research Award, American School Health Association.
- 1988 First Place—Substance Abuse Video “Resisting Pressures to Drink and Drive” (Ian M. Newman, Executive Producer), Institute of Creative Research and The Sport Art Academy (NASPE).
- 1994 Best Educational Achievement Award (Nebbie) for Resisting Pressures, Ian Newman, Executive Producer, ZIPF Institutes Interactive ’94 Conference and Exposition, San Jose, California, June 6.
- 1994 Buckle Up America Award for Get It On, Safety Belt Curriculum, Ian Newman, American Coalition for Traffic Safety, Washington, DC.
- 1995 First Place (Substance Abuse Category) for Resisting Pressures, Ian Newman, Executive Director, 8th Annual AAHPERD Video Contest.
- 1993 Distinguished Service Award, Nebraska Public Health Association.
- 1997 Wesley C. Meierhenry Distinguished Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- 1998 Distinguished Alumni Award, George Williams College of Aurora University.
- 2006 The Robert D. Sparks MD Award in Public Health & Preventive Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- 2008 The Dermot Coyne Exemplary Service to International Students Award by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- 1978-2016 President, Health Education, Inc., a nonprofit health education, service, and research corporation in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- 1990-present President, The Buffalo Beach Company, a health education research and consulting group in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Depression among Chinese left-behind children: A systematic review and meta-analysis [open access]
- Effects of a comprehensive nutrition education programme to change grade 4 primary-school students’ eating behaviours in China [open access]
- Effects of a web-based pre-enrollment alcohol brief motivational intervention on college student retention and alcohol-related violations [open access]
- Chemical composition and safety of unrecorded grain alcohol (bai jiu) samples from three provinces in China [open access]
- Effectiveness of a WeChat brief intervention to increase students’ willingness to assist a flushing student to reduce alcohol use: a brief report of a pilot study in China [open access]
- Effect of a comprehensive health education program to increase physical activity among primary school students in China [open access]
- Health-related quality of life in patients with arthritis: a cross-sectional survey among middle-aged adults (45-53 years old) in Chongqing, China [open access]
- Influence of peer pressure and self-efficacy for alcohol self-regulation on Chinese university physical education students’ drinking behaviors [open access]
- University students’ willingness to assist fellow students who experience alcohol-related facial flushing to reduce their drinking [open access]
- Variables associated with alcohol consumption and abstinence among young adults in central China [open access]
- Tobacco Use and Intimate Relationships (Palgrave Macmillan)
- Chemical content of unrecorded distilled alcohol (bai jiu) from rural central China: Analysis and public health risks [open access]
- Comparison of patterns of use of unrecorded and recorded spirits: survey of adult drinkers in rural central China [open access]
- Composition of unrecorded distilled alcohol (bai jiu) produced in small rural factories in central China [open access]
- Effects of selected socio-demographic characteristics on nutrition knowledge and eating behaviors of elementary students in two provinces in China [open access]
- Estimate of undergraduate university student alcohol use in China: systematic review and meta-analysis [open access]
- How social reactions to alcohol-related facial flushing are affected by gender, relationship, and drinking purposes: implications for education to reduce aerodigestive cancer risks [open access]
- Cultural orientation and its associations with alcohol use by university students in China [open access]
- Drinking, depression, and suicide intentions among Chinese adolescents [in Chinese]
- Estimate of adolescent alcohol use in China: a meta-analysis [open access]
- Driver education and teen crashes and traffic violations in the first two years of driving in a graduated licensing system [open access]
- Traditional grain alcohol (bai jiu) production and use in rural central China: implications for public health [open access]
- The educational potential of alcohol-related flushing among Chinese young people [open access]
- Survey of the drinking patterns of university students [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Traditional alcohol production and use in three provinces in Vietnam: an ethnographic exploration of health benefits and risks [open access]
- The association between cultural orientation and drinking behaviors among university students in Wuhan, China [open access]
- Social meaning of alcohol-related flushing among university students in China [open access]
- Changing intentions to use smokeless tobacco: an application of the IMB model [copyrighted by the American Journal of Health Behavior 35(5):568-580]
- Noncommercial alcohol in China: a case study from rural townships in Hubei province: executive summary [PDF]
- Being bullied and psychosocial adjustment among middle school students in China [open access]
- The influence of cultural orientation, alcohol expectancies, and self-efficacy on adolescent drinking behavior in China [open access]
- Waterpipe smoking in Kuwait. The Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal [open access]
- Alcohol expectancies among high school students in Inner Mongolia, China [open access]
- Review of studies of Chinese high school students’ drinking behavior [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Alcohol use and associated risk factors among a sample of Chinese middle school students [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Anabolic androgenic steroids: use and perceived use in non-athlete college students [open access]
- Multi-factor influences on Chinese youth health behaviors: canonical correlation analysis on data from the Global School-based Health Survey [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Study on the relationship between cultural orientation, alcohol expectancy, self-efficacy, and drinking behavior among senior high school students in two cities in Henan province [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Alcohol: no ordinary commodity: research and policy-brief of the WHO report [PDF]
- An analysis of correlative factors of high school students’ alcohol use [in Chinese] [PDF]
- The social meaning of alcohol-related flushing [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Factors contributing to the failure to use condoms among students in Zambia [PDF]
- Adolescent alcohol use: Mixed methods research approach [in Chinese] [English translation]
- Buddhism and adolescent alcohol use in Thailand [open access]
- Sheesha smoking among a sample of future teachers in Kuwait [open access]
- Measurement of alcohol expectancy and development of Chinese adolescent alcohol expectancy questionnaire (CAEQ)[in Chinese] [PDF]
- Use of policy, education, and enforcement to reduce binge drinking among university students: The NU Directions project
- Application of social cognitive theory in health education for obesity control in children [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Development of Chinese adolescent alcohol expectancy questionnaire [in Chinese]
- Cultural orientation and Chinese adolescent drinking [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Smokeless tobacco expectancies among a sample of rural [copyrighted] American Journal of Health Behavior
- Using photography to cross generational, linguistic, and cultural barriers to develop useful survey instruments
- Alcohol expectancies among a sample of Thai high school students [in Thai] [PDF]
- Application of outcome expectancy theory in health education [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Health education project designed by Health Belief Model [in Chinese] [PDF]
- Alcohol and young people: Promoting benefits and reducing risks
- Alcohol expectancies among high school students in China [abstract no. 426]
- Cultural aspects of drinking patterns and alcohol controls in China
- Alcohol Use Among a Sample of Thai Adolescents [PDF of translation]
- Alcohol advertising in the college newspaper at a large midwestern residential campus: 1984 and 1992 (NASPA Journal Volume 32 Issue 32)
- Body image assessment and weight loss practices of adolescent females in Nebraska [PDF]
- Using social cognitive theory as a framework for designing medical self care interventions [PDF]
- When life spins out of control it helps to be wearing a safety belt [PDF]
- Alcohol use and abuse on an urban commuter campus [PDF]
- Introduction to public health and health education in the United States [in Chinese] [PDF]
- The role and function of drinking games in a university community [open access]
- Role rehearsal and efficacy: Two 15 month evaluations of a ninth grade alcohol education program [copyright by Journal of Drug Education]
- School teacher’s role in a school community alcohol intervention program
- Use of the delphi technique to support a comprehensive campus alcohol abuse initiative [copyright by American Journal of Health Education]
- Adolescent dieting practices and nutrition knowledge
- The effects of a three-year twelve-county alcohol and drug education program
- Changing drug use patterns among adolescents in western Nebraska
- Adolescent dieting and weight loss practices
- Adolescent tobacco smoking and chewing in Nebraska
- Women as motivators in the use of safety belts
- Newspapers as an evaluation tool of a rural drug education program [PDF]
- Surveys paint more accurate picture of 1990’s
- Adolescent dieting practices and nutrition knowledge. [PDF]
- School health programs and national development [in Chinese with English translation] [PDF]
- Changing drug use patterns among adolescents in western Nebraska [PDF]
- Adolescent dieting and weight loss practices [PDF]
- Adolescent tobacco smoking and chewing in Nebraska [PDF]
- Women as motivators in the use of safety belts [pdf]
- Effects of teacher preparation and student age on an alcohol and drug education curriculum [PDF]